March for Meals
Meals on Wheels Western Michigan participates in the national #MarchforMeals campaign every March. March for Meals is an annual month-long event, sponsored by Meals on Wheels America. It is designed to generate public awareness about senior hunger and isolation and to celebrate the invaluable services provided by Meals on Wheels Western Michigan. March for Meals is also intended to help recruit new volunteers from our community and to increase fundraising from local businesses and supporters.
And that’s a wrap! – Thank you to our following Champions:
- State Representative Steven Johnson
- Teresa Cuellar, on behalf of Senator Gary Peters
- Grandville Fire Chief Michael May
- Mayor of Walker Mark Huizenga
- Mary Judnich, on behalf of Senator Debbie Stabenow
- President of Sparta Kristi Dougan
- Kent County Administrator Daryl Delabbio
- Senator Peter MacGregor
- State Representative Thomas Albert
- Shelley Irwin – WGVU Morning Show
- Kent County Prosecuting Attorney Chris Becker
- Grandville Fire Marshall Lynnae White
- Mayor of Grandville Steve Maas
- Kent Coutny Sheriff Lawrence Stelma
- Barb VanderVeen, on behalf of Secretary Ruth Johnson
- State Representative David LaGrand
- Kent County Commissioner Diane Jones
- State Representative Robert VerHeulen
- Kent County Commissioner Stan Stek
- Walker Commissioner Cyndy Stek
- Walker Commissioner Gary Carey
- State Representative Tommy Brann
For questions on how you can get involved for next year, please contact Sarah Mariuz.
Hundreds of local Meals on Wheels programs across the country use this time to reach out to their communities to build the support needed to enable them to deliver nutritious meals, friendly visits, and safety checks to America’s seniors all year long. By volunteering, donating or speaking out, you can ensure that the seniors in your community can live healthy, happy, and independent lives in their home.
“The services that we provide the seniors of Kent and Allegan County are critical and the need is rapidly increasing,” said Brewster Hamm, President & CEO of MOWWM, “Together, we can keep seniors living independently, healthier at home and feeling more connected to their community as they age.”
Commissioner Emily Brieve delivering meals to Cascade seniors.
Michigan Senator Peter MacGregor and driver, Lyn, delivering meals to Grandville seniors.
Kent County Sheriff Lawrence Stelma delivering meals to late co-worker in Grand Rapids.
Commissioner Diane Jones serving meals at our Grattan Dining Site.
Shelley Irwin, from the WGVU Morning Show, interviewing a senior on a Grand Rapids delivery route. Listen to the interview here!
Mark Huizenga, Mayor of Walker, delivering meals to Walker seniors for his 4th consecutive year.