In this Issue:
- Monthly Observances
- It’s Time to Celebrate Grandparents!
- Food Safety Month
- National Potato Month
- Spotlight on Caregivers
- Nutrient of the Month: Potassium
- Featured Recipe: Brown Rice Pudding
- News from MOWWM
Featured Story: It’s Time to Celebrate Grandparents!
Did You Know?
- In the US, it’s grandma and grandpa. In Latin America and Spain it’s abuela and abuelo. In Italy, it’s nonna and nonno, and in Germany Oma and Opa are the traditional names for a grandmother and grandfather.
- Famous people who have been raised by their grandparents include Oprah Winfrey, Presidents Barack Obama and Bill Clinton, actor Jack Nicholson, singer Willie Nelson, funny lady Carol Burnett, and poet Maya Angelou.
- Grandparents are wonderful caregivers (think about all the experience they have!) with more than 2 million grandparents in the US acting as the head of household.